Whenever we deal with wood or metal, we like to work very efficiently, no wasted energy, time and money. Hand tools and a hand drill press are the first that come to our mind when we look for things that can help us do the job right. One of them is called the hand drill (HD).
Hand drills and hard drill presses should be defined by the name itself. It should come in handy like what our Science teachers taught us about simple machines. Simple machines make our life easier and our works faster. But sometimes, a HD fails its purpose.
A hand drill has limitations. Sometimes, it cannot do the work because its capacity chooses selected materials and holes to accomplish. Also, holding a HD targeting a hole in very tiny pieces is very difficult to attain. But the long wait is over, you can convert your HD ( Hand Drill) into a drill press (DP) fast and easy.
The top 5 Drills on the market.
What makes DP special is it helps the HD go beyond its limitations for faster and more successful handwork. DP is very advantageous because it is already fixed. It helps to prevent the shaking of hands as you use a Hand Drill, resulting to a more precise hole. It is effortless to make hole on tiny pieces which the Hand Drill takes a hard time to accomplish.
Compared to hand drill, drill presses come with more powerful and well-equipped motors, this will enable you to finish your work faster.
A hand drill can be quickly converted to and from a Drill Press by using an adapter. This will costs lesser amount of money compared to when you buy a dedicated DP. For a complete transformation, here are easy steps you can follow to convert your hand drill into a DP. The only thing you need to use is a drill press stand. With just one material, conversion can be completely done in a few minutes.
One of the best Hand Drill to Drill Press adaptors are the Drill Stand for Hand Drill, Universal Bench Clamp Drill Press Floor Stand Workbench Repair Tool for Drilling Collet Workshop,Single Hole Aluminum Base and is available below from Amazon. I have listed 2 of the best products found on the market at that moment including the wolfcraft 4525404 Muilt-Angle Drill Guide Attachment for 1/4in. and 3/8in Drills.
- 【Material】Electric drill press stand constructed with aluminum ally base,solid column bar,durable to use.
- 【Available Drill】Designed for use with electric drills with collar diameter of 38-43mm (1.7"or 1.5"),with black plastic ring for better fix.
- 【Drill Depth】Drilling depth up to 60mm(2.4"), single hole for mounting.
- 【Features】This drill stand is ideal for holding your drill steady during use and allows for much more precise drilling than hand-held operation.
- 【Package and Shipping】Pack of 1 set drill press stand per parcel.Need to assemble.Not including the electric drill.Shipping within US usually takes about 4-7 days.
- Drill Guide that can be used in horizontal, vertical or angle positions
- Guide-bars themselves have springs for a quick return when doing repetitive drilling
- Drill adapter itself slides up and down on guide-bars
- Angle positions can go up to 45 degrees, and rubber pads in the base hold the guide in place
- Fits all 1/4-inch or 3/8-inch drills
Some instructions on how to set up a hand drill to drill press adaptor.
1. Take away the clamp. Do you see that thing that holds your hand drill tightly? Yes, it is the clamp. Remove it now because you will not need it anymore. You will replace it then with the clamp of the DP. Many DP stands come in a U-shape. It has a heavy wire with two nuts on the bottom of the drill press stand. Some clamps of the DP are adjustable steel plates that push down the drill when compressing it. Put the HD in the frame with the handle faced away from the position of the DP stand then swap the clamp. Tighten the clamp nuts firmly. With the help of the DP clamp, it will secure the drill letting you work continuously.
2. Do not forget to mount it. As mentioned earlier, what the converted DP promises is being fixed on a board, unlike a HD. What you will do is to escalate the DP stand to a work bench if possible. If a work bench is not available or does not potentially work, you can use a piece of plywood measuring about 3/4 inches, or you can also use a piece of board. Make sure that the size of the board and plywood are larger than the base of the stand and clamp of the board to the bench.
3. Use the drill press cautiously. Though we have upgraded the tool already, it is worthy to note of the things that it is capable to do. Utilize the DP conversion as you would any ordinary DP. But be aware that this is a light duty arrangement and is not intended for drilling bigger holes in metal or exceptionally hard woods.
4. Always be safe. It is always better to be safe than sorry, so never forget to wear safety glasses when using a DP. There will be times that small pieces might hurt your eyes. With the use of safety glasses, you will prevent small pieces from getting into your eyes.
It is easy, right? With these four steps, you can now upgrade your tool to a more powerful one Take the chance and enjoy doing your work. So, who says hand drills are the only ones that can come handy? Drill press can be, too!
Eurotool DRL-300: Easier and better than Convert a Hand Drill Into a Drill Press
Powermatic PM2800B 1792800B
Last update on 2018-10-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API